For many of us who have dogs, we love them like our own.
So it’s no surprise that you might, at one point or another feed your dogs things that you enjoy…a nut now and then, or a raisin.
It’s harmless, right?
Think again. In fact, you may be feeding your dogs things that are erroneously thought as suitable for canine consumption. Here’s a list of what not to feed your dogs…
Avocado is full of healthy fats great for human skin but it will cause kidney failure in dogs. The next time you think about let your furkid have a go at a spoonful of guacamole, think again.
Like avocado, grapes cause kidney failure in dogs too. While some dogs can ingest large amount of grapes without falling ill, some dogs will get horribly ill and till today, nobody really knows why or is able to point our the specific breeds allergic to grapes. Best is for your dogs to avoid them.
Too much dairy will give your dogs serious diarrhea which may cause dehydration and even death! A piece or two of cream cheese as treats…but a whole bowl of milk? Be very cautious.
Some varieties of mushrooms are so toxic that they are fatal to dogs. First, the dog will go into shock, followed by death.
Believe it or not, too much onions will cause your dogs to develop blood cell damage and anemia. So, keep the french onion soup to yourself.
6. Coffee and tea.
If caffeine could stimulate our nervous system, what more a dog’s? It’s also toxic to the heart and will cause purging and diarrhea. Tea will also cause theobromine poisoning in dogs, similar to chocolates.
Xylitol is an ingredient that appears in many candies and mints. I’ve encountered people who gave their dogs mints to alleviate “smelly dog breath” as a joke. But it won’t be so funny anymore when it causes liver failure, hypoglycemia and eventually death.
I guess this goes without saying. Keep medicine hidden and away from your dogs. Among the worst things to happen to dogs that have ingested medicines are kidney failures and stomach ulcers.
9. Greasy food.
Too much of greasy food will cause pancreatitis in dogs. While humans have a better tolerance towards greasy food, dogs are not built that way.
Unlike cats, dogs are able to taste sweetness, which often would lead them on a chocolate binge if they accidentally gained access to the sweet. If they didn’t already die from chocolate poisoning, the amount of fats and sweets would already cause damage in the form of acute pancreatitis.
11. Bones, cooked or raw.
There are many school of beliefs when it comes to feeding bones to dogs. Some say raw bones promote are better, while some insist on cooked bones. Here, we think you should avoid bones completely. Bones, cooked or raw are at risk of splintering. Everytime your dog gnaws on a bone, you are exposing the furry ball to risks of stomach lacerations, choking and bleeding from rectum, among others. For us, the risks that comes with feeding bones to dogs far outweigh the benefits.
Grapes are toxic to dogs, and so are its dried cousins – the raisins. They’re really bad for dog’s kidneys.
13. Walnuts and macadamia nuts.
Fresh walnuts aren’t that bad but old walnuts, fallen off tress onto the ground are very risky as the hulls may be moldy and contain penitrem A. Dogs that have ingested old walnuts have the potential to develop tremors and seizures. Macadamia nuts are just downright toxic to dogs and can cause hind end weakness, tremors, lethargy and hyperthermia in dogs.
It might be fun to be merry with man’s best friend but alcohol can lead to coma and death in dogs. It’s not a good idea to share a drink with Max.
By the way, if you enjoyed this article, please help make our day and like our Facebook page!